I had a great on air chat about the life gluten free, with the new-to-Kelowna Rebecca Zandbergen of CBC Radio-West. She’s a lovely lady and fantastic interviewer , and as she predicted, 6 or 7 minutes on air felt like a mere minute. There’s a lot of great tips I completely forgot to add during the interview, so I’ll have to post them here on the blog!
And soon to come… gluten free shopping tips-it doesn’t have to cost you every penny in your possession. Also, awhile back I promised to send Vernon girl Kerry K Taylor of Squawk Fox, some of the things I do to live as a money-conscious Celiac! Although she’s probably already in the know. (They’re coming Kerry!) If you haven’t visited Kerry’s frugal living blog – Squawk Fox – where frugal living is sexy, delicious, and fun – you must!
And here is the interview…click on the image to listen in on CBC Radio’s website!
My friends Erin & Todd got married this month in a beautiful Okanagan orchard-themed wedding. The wedding took place naturally, on a sprawling orchard, complete with an English garden and adorable house in the background that made me feel like I was on the set of Anne of Green Gables. Everything was thoughtful and sweet, right down to the name place cards shaped as leaves and atop green apples. Now… getting on with the food!
Todd & Erin’s Wedding Menu
Can you tell that my good friend Erin has an amazing taste in food? Much of the menu was gluten free and locally sourced. This was the most amazing wedding food I’ve ever experienced, and very allergy friendly. Erin has many allergies on her own (gluten not included), so she chose a Details Catering from Waterfront Restaurant & Wine Bar (a small but infamous restaurant is Kelowna) that is known for being allergy aware. The menu was full of many real foods, most of which were naturally gluten free (I can eat!), and egg/dairy free (the bride can eat!)
Pre-dinner cocktail. Canapés
- Grey Goose Vodka-spiked lemonade with fresh local raspberries Gluten Free!
- Smokey Eggplant Caponata with Focaccia Crostini (on a rice cracker for me!) Gluten Free!
- Fresh Halibut Ceviche with Crisp Corn Tortilla Gluten Free!
- Prosciutto wrapped apricots with goat cheese cream Gluten Free!
- Fresh local spinach with organic strawberries and a balsamic, tarragon pepper vinaigrette Gluten Free!
- Spice chick pea, red pepper and potato salad, Arlo’s Honey and fresh lime Gluten Free!
- Asparagus risotto, Carmelis Lior cheese, fresh mint Gluten Free!
- Fresh made focaccia
- Local free range chicken with grainy mustard jus Gluten Free!
- Grilled AAA N.Y. striploin, cabernet sauvegnon jus Gluten Free!
- Penne noodles with housemaid pancetta and basil pisto
- Roasted new potatoes with rosemary and caramelized onions Gluten Free!
- Local baby carrtos with dill Gluten Free!
- Grilled asparagus with lemon butter Gluten Free!
- Flourless chocolate tart with local raspberry and vanilla whipped cream Gluten Free!
- Blueberry and white chocolate cheesecake
- Lemon panna cotta with bayberry gelee Gluten Free!
- Kootany Alpine Cheese Co. Organic Nostrala, Triple Island Gouda, Carmelis Misty, Fresh Fruit Gluten Free!
Apple place card settings
This wedding took place entirely outdoors, and what a beautiful day it was!
Waterfront Wines (Kelowna, BC) catered. Here they are making up my special gluten free hors d’œuvres!
The lovely bride with her father.
Gluten free desserts! Lemon panna cotta with tayberry gelee. Flourless chocolate tart with local raspberry and vanilla whipped cream.
Gluten free hors d’œuvres!
Prosciutto wrapped apricots with goat cheese cream. I loved these so much that I replicated them for my beach picnic last night!
Grey Goose Vodka-spiked lemonade with fresh local raspberries
We enjoyed wine from Mission Hill Winery – where the bride works – all night. There was also beer, but who cares about that!?