I’ve had quite a few hits and misses eating out in Kelowna. Here’s a brief rundown of the great, bad and the ugly:
TRY THIS! My all-time favourite restaurant and dining experience in Kelowna is Quail’s Gate Winery/Old Vines Restaurant. Both the food and wine are amazing and the kitchen is super knowledgeable about allergies and avoiding cross-contamination. They can also make almost anything on the menu gluten free. I have many favourites, but my number one favourite dish here is the Mushroom Risotto with White Truffle Oil. You’ve never tasted anything like it!
Don’t miss the: Mushroom Risotto, Beef Carpaccio, 2009 Dry Riesling.
TRY THIS! My other top picks include:
- Cabana Grille. The Tropical Tuna Salad is out of this world.
- Lakeside Dining Room at the Hotel Eldorado.
- Wild Apple Restaurant & Lounge at Manteo Resort.
- Raudz Regional Table. Amazing, mouthwatering, delicious, need I say more? Oh yes, I should: they are also mixology master – try the fresh fruit martinis!
- Dunn Enzies Pizza Co. They make their own gluten free pizza crust, and it’s much better than any store bought gf pizza crust I’ve ever had! Don’t miss the Diego’s Inferno (chorizo sausage, tomato, onion, green pepper, three cheese blend, chipotle cream) or the Cali-Familia (chicken breast, smoked bacon, tomato, three cheese blend topped with avocado aioli). YUM.
- White Spot. Believe it or not, White Spot is pretty allergy aware and they have a separate gluten free menu (love that!) The Fajita Salad? Awesome!
- Cactus Club. Try the Tuna Tataki (no yuzu vinaigrette) and the Jambalaya rice bowl.
- The Rotten Grape. Delicious tapas and a great wine selection. The first time I went here, I got sick from a little bit of cross-contamination. But I have been quite a few times since and been fine – they have really improved their allergy awareness.
Places I plan to try this year:
RED FLAG Restaurants where I’ve had “questionable” gluten free food (most likely cross-contamination issues):
BIG RED FLAG The place I will never, ever dare to eat at again:
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery-Sunset Organic Bistro. Worst glutenization of my life. And as it turns out, a Celiac friend of mine had the same experience here!!
I will work on this list as I dine out more. I’d love to discover great Indian, Thai, Mexican and Sushi restaurants, so please let me know if you have any recommendations for these or other Celiac-safe eateries. The Kelowna chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association also has a more comprehensive list here. Happy dining!