- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I’ve used all-purpose as well as brown rice flour)
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon (I used Better Than Bouillon Organic Chicken Base)
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli (I used closer to a pound, gotta get those vitamins!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of grated cheddar
This was one of the first recipes I made when I was diagnosed with Celiac. After a few weeks of rice cakes, rice crackers and generally being hungry, I decided to try making soup. This started my love for making soups!
I got this recipe from the Simply Soups website (click here for original) and just tweaked it a little for my taste (and of course, to make it gluten free!) I hope you like it as much as I do!
Add butter to small saucepan. Sauté onion until soft. Set aside. Add butter to stockpot. Melt over medium heat. Whisk 3-5 minutes. Whisking continuously, slowly add in the half-and-half and milk. Stir in chicken stock and continue whisking. Reduce heat to low. Stir in broccoli, and onion. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add soup in batches to blender and puree until smooth. Return to stockpot over low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in grated cheese and serve!