I can’t believe I lived for so long without ever trying a cast iron “pie” maker. My sister-
in-law introduced them to me a few years ago, and now they are a camping staple for my boyfriend and I!
You can buy a cast iron pie maker at any camping store, for between $10-$20 – they are worth every penny!
While there are endless types of “pies” you can make with your new pie-maker, we usually assemble pizzas. Because who doesn’t love a tasty campfire pizza!
- Your favourite gluten free bread or buns
- Your favourite pizza toppings – I used pepperoni, red peppers, caramelized onions, garlic and a Mexican blend cheese
- Marinara sauce
- Butter or olive oil
Coat the insides of your cast iron pie maker with butter or olive oil. I also sprinkle mine with a little bit of garlic salt.
Assemble your lay one side of your bun down and assemble your pizza. Add the other half of your bun, and clamp the pie maker closed – there is usually a way you can lock it down.
Hold it over your campfire for about 5 minutes, rotating once in awhile. Check your pizza – you want it to be nice and toasty brown, with the cheese fully melted – it should be gooey! Put back on the fire as needed.
Create the rest of your pizzas and enjoy with your favorite campfire bevvy!
Other cast iron pie maker ideas:
- New York Cheese Cake – gluten free graham cracker crumbs, soft cream cheese, and cherry pie filling – yum!
- Bacon and eggers made with gluten free bagels, buns or English muffins
- Grilled cheese, or grilled ham and cheese
- French toast
- Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwiches (pre-cook your chicken on this one)
And there’s lots more – let me know what your favourite campfire pies are!